Oh hey there kiddies! Welcome to March 2018 AND my first post in the New Year!
So, what gives?
The last word vomit I left you with surrounded the resolution trap and goal shift mentality. Let me wrap up my long list of goals I set out for myself into what has become my 2018 motto:
Let Go Of The Bullshit.
Focus On The Real Shit.
Authenticity: Real Life application.
What is considered B.S. is going to differ from person to person. Only you can decide and only you can act on it. Each day provides an opportunity where you can learn from yourself and others and grow as a person. As an INDIVIDUAL. Evolve your authenticity. Gut check, friends. How authentic are you in what you put out to the world?
So, what are some things I have done to shift my mindset and focus on what is real to me? I’ll give you a little insight and provide a few suggested takeaways, but not all. Afterall, 2018 goals were to be a little less of a book and a little more of a mystery. A bestie lives her life like this and I admire her for it. My previous life REQUIRED me to be an open book. And it was completely fine for that time. Now, I think a little differently about what I share and how much. I still share via social media (mainly my cats cuz I’m all about that #catmomlife) and I will certainly be sharing blog-worthy stuff once summer rolls around (hello… HARLEY LIFE) but shifting my focus of MUST SHARE EVERYTHING TO EVERYONE to, will share what feels right to me OR others. Again, life of authenticity.
Friend Dates. Each month of 2018 I have set dates (or vice versa) with friends. In January I had 3 meaningful “dates” with different gals and in February I tallied up 4, whether it was an hour lunch during the week in the Old Market, a weekend brunch, a Jeep road trip or an adventure to a small neighboring town to watch the ever popular duck races, etc.
- I haven’t social media plastered all of it… with the exception of the duck race on Snap, because woah. Y’all need to experience that redneckery.
- Instead, we used our time to focus on connecting about the positives in life, the truths of life, the HARD STUFF of life.
- One reconnection was merely about listening, reflecting, apologizing, understanding. It was good for our souls.
- Most connections were just friends taking a REAL time-out for each other. Not just social media shout-outs and tags (which are appropriate too, as long as it’s not the only means of connecting).
- I will continue to make these dates as the months continue on. I truly have a lot of friends who I value for different reasons and want to continue making these meaningful connections.
- Your Take Away: Set up some friend dates. Make it happen. Even if just an hour of face to face time to reconnect. Trust me, they will fill your cup up so full. ❤
Avoca, NE Duck Race Beer Tent: AKA the entire town.
- The hubs work is demanding. I don’t think anyone can truly understand what it means to be a business owner that is high profile and high demand with employees, partners and the like. Add to that TWO businesses and I have an overworked, tired guy on my hands. Literally never has a day off at home. I promise you that.
- I am working really hard at listening and understanding but not providing as much commentary unless needed. Being his outlet to vent.
- And Vice Versa… cuz LAWD knows my career (currently) is a wee bit high stress and he listens to it too.
- Your Take Away: Talk less, listen more. Truly HEAR what your spouse/Significant other is saying and be careful of what you say in return. Maybe they aren’t seeking feedback. Maybe you are a safe place for them to just talk. So, listen.
- It’s challenging. But, it’s a good challenge as long as I shift my mentality to focus on how the challenge is making me a better leader. Each day I set small attainable goals to achieve that will assist in keeping my focus on the here and now.
- Working on trying to worry less about the stuff/people I can’t control and are life suckers.
- Don’t be one of those work-life suckers…
- Flowers on desk are a total bonus
- Your Take Away: Career changing LEADERSHIP advice:
Before you assume, learn the facts.
Before you judge, understand why.
Before you speak, think.
Before you hurt, feel.
Selfish PERSONAL changes
- I decreased the number of fitness classes I teach. Don’t get me wrong… I LOVE the formats. I don’t ever NOT want to teach these people I ADORE:
- I have also found another gym that I love for ME and provides challenges beyond what I have been able to do for myself the last couple of years
- I feel like a total Effin Bad Ass
- I need to continue down this path because it has been mind changing, body changing, confidence changing. And I have met some seriously incredible people that I get to connect with through sweat, tears, smiles, laughs and major milestones. No one knows the
painexhilaration of a partner workout consisting of battle rope jacks, tire flips, dead-hangs, hollow-holds, etc then your partner who is side by side with you… and probably the one making you hold that damn hollow hold so long because they are still working on their required number of battle rope jacks. Growing stronger together. Physically & Mentally. THAT is my happy place. 🙂
- Your Take Away: REMOVE anything from your life that is causing an unnecessary level of stress or nuisance to your CURRENT situation. FIND something that challenges you and KEEP DOING IT! Doesn’t have to be a new gym. It doesn’t have to be a physical challenge. Make it a mental challenge. Doesn’t matter.
GROWTH will never happen if you keep doing the same shiz.
I am going to leave you with that. Make decisions each day that catapult you to who you are, what you stand for and what you want to be remembered by. Be YOU, whoever that is. And live authentically.
And for goodness sakes:
Let Go Of The Bullshit.
Focus On The Real Shit.