My friend Ashley made the original version of this salad a few weeks ago and was kind enough to bring me a container of it. I fell in love with the light, fresh taste and the overall health benefits this recipe packs. Did you know cauliflower, kale, basil and lemons are known for their detoxifying capabilities? After my weekend, this recipe was very appealing to me!
The original recipe can be found here courtesy of Blissful Basil.
I altered the ingredients for a few reasons:
- Sun-dried tomatoes are pricey at my grocery store
- I looked in two grocery stores for Tahini and couldn’t find any. Ashley told me where I could find it, but it’s about $8 a jar. Since this only called for 1/4 cup I decided to just use olive oil. Completely different tastes, but with the other ingredients in the dressing, I was confident the taste would be just fine.
- I added slivered almonds and omitted hemp seeds and pepitas. This also could fall under reason #2.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into pieces
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- ⅔ cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ⅓ cup raw pine nuts
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup water
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt (or to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
1. Grate the cauliflower pieces in a food processor until riced. Transfer to bowl.
2. Chop Kale by hand or in food processor. Add to cauliflower.
3. To bowl add tomatoes, basil, pine nuts and slivered almonds.
4. Make the dressing by adding the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, water, sea salt, and black pepper to an airtight container and shake.Pour the dressing over the cauliflower mixture and toss to coat. Let marinate for 10-15 minutes.
5. Serve and refrigerate leftovers.