I made this dessert earlier this summer and OHMYGOSH you guys. It was insane.
Or… so I was told. I made it for a work meeting. All I know is it was licked clean within an hour time span.
Thanks to Vera over at Oh My Goodness Chocolate Desserts for the easy to follow instructions and recipe. Springforms and I have a history of disasters, but this little raspberry crumble number redeemed our friendship.
PS. You should click on her link above for legitimate photos of the dessert. Much more pleasing then my kitchen lighting + iPhone snaps. Lazy at best when capturing food shots. Whatevs.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 oz. cream cheese-softened
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup raspberries-washed and well drained
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5.5 Tablespoons unsalted butter- softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter-chilled and cubed
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 8 or 9 inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Filling instructions: Mix the cream cheese and sugar together on medium-low speed until creamy. Add egg white and mix on low until combined. Set aside.
- Cake batter instructions: Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl, set aside.
- With an electric mixer cream together the butter and sugar on medium-low speed. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Slowly mix in the flour mixture alternating with the sour cream. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Spread the cream cheese filling on top. Place raspberries on top of cream cheese filling.
- Topping instructions: Combine sugar, flour and chilled cubed butter in a bowl. Stir with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly and sprinkle on top of raspberries.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack, run a thin knife around the cake and loose ring of springform pan.
- Store in the fridge.